.22 Savage Model 1919

Someone brought me this rifle and asked if I could restore it to it’s former glory.  I was totally hesitant but since I knew the guy and he was “somewhat” desperate, I decided to handle it for him, with no promises of quality of work or time frame.

This stock was really busted up with some wood missing as well.  It looked like someone had used it for a club and smacked it against something hard.  It was pretty well shattered.  After proofing the barrel for straightness and determining the workflow, I started in on it.

This is how it came to me.
Pretty busted up.

I cleaned all the rust and buffed all the metal parts and brought everything back to a smooth clean finish.  Re-blued as necessary, which was everything.

The gluing was fairly straight forward, but with missing chunks of wood, I had to do some improvisation in the clamping aspect.  I finally got it figured, slathered on the glue, and clamped things.  Later, I used an epoxy/wood dust mixture to fill all the voids with a wood dust overlay before drying and let things set.

I’d have to say the hardest part of bringing this gun back was finding a functional magazine.  They are few and far between, but fortunately, I ran across a guy at a gun show who said he would check in his shop and see if he had one, and, lo and behold, he did.  He was pretty reasonable with the cost as well, so now it was down to finishing the wood and re-bluing the metal.

I never like filling in missing pieces of wood.  Especially on an aged piece.  It’s a black art at best, but I managed, and I have to say, my color matching skills didn’t hurt.  The stock was back to looking original and all in one piece.  After the “cold” bluing of the metal and the reassembly, I was pretty proud of it and a job well done.  Owner completely satisfied and he reported back after firing it that it was in tip top shape.  Happy about that.